The budget process is underway, starting in the House Finance Subcommittee. Committee assignments are also out. A few changes of note: Senate President Huffman has added two new standing Senate committees, one focused on Medicaid chaired by Sen. Mark Romanchuk (R) and the other on community revitalization chaired by Sen. Terry Johnson (R). Sen. Matt Dolan (R) remains the chair of the Senate Finance committee.
Legislators typically spend time in their home districts on Monday and Friday. That, paired with the public testimony opportunity, allows legislators to hear directly from stakeholders across health and human issues on specific budget items or items being proposed for inclusion in the budget.
Who represents your issues? Below are the Cuyahoga County committee assignments for the Ohio 135th General Assembly:
- Rep. Sean Brennan (D-Parma): Pensions, Primary and Secondary Education, Public Utilities, State and Local Government (Ranking), and Ways and Means
- Rep. Juanita Brent (D-Cleveland Heights) Agriculture (Ranking), Commerce and Labor, Energy and Natural Resources, Homeland Security, and Transportation
- Rep. Darnell T. Brewer (D-Cleveland, (Garfield Heights) Behavioral Health, Civil Justice, Families and Aging, Health Provider Services, and Infrastructure
- Rep. Richard Dell’Aquilla (D-Seven Hills) Aviation and Aerospace, Commerce and Labor, Economic and Workforce Development, Financial Institutions (Ranking), and Ways and Means
- Rep. Elliot Forhan (D-South Euclid) Commerce and Labor, Financial Institutions, Government Oversight (Ranking), State and Local Government, Technology and Innovation
- Rep. Tom Patton (R-Strongsville): Finance Committee, Finance Subcommittee on Transportation (Chair), Insurance, and Public Utilities, and Controlling Board
- Rep. Phil Robinson, Jr. (D-Solon): Finance, Finance Subcommittee on Primary and Secondary Education, Financial Institutions, Higher Education, and Primary and Secondary Education (Ranking)
- Rep. Mike Skindell (D-Lakewood): Civil Justice, Finance, Finance Subcommittee on Infrastructure and American Rescue Plan (Ranking), and Government Oversight, and Transportation (Ranking)
- Rep. Bride Rose Sweeney (D-Cleveland (North Olmsted): Constitutional Resolutions, Finance (Ranking), Finance Subcommittee on Infrastructure and American Rescue Plan (Ranking), Insurance, Pensions, and Controlling Board
- Rep. Terrance Upchurch (D- Cleveland): Agriculture, Economic and Workforce Development (Ranking), Health Provider Services, Insurance, and Ways and Means
- Nickie Antonio (D-Lakewood) Health (Ranking), Rules and Reference (Ranking), Transportation (Ranking), Task Force on Redistricting, and Reapportionment and Demographic Research
- Matt Dolan (R- Chagrin Falls) Energy and Public Utilities, Finance (Chair), Judiciary, Medicaid, and Rules and Reference
- Kent Smith (D- South Euclid) Energy and Public Utilities (Ranking), Financial Institutions and Technology (Ranking), Judiciary, Rules and Reference, Transportation, and Ways and Means (Ranking)
- Jerry Cirino (R- Kirtland) Energy and Public Utilities, Finance (Vice Chair), Ways and Means, and Workforce and Higher Education (Chair)
To receive the latest updates on the subcommittee proceedings, you can sign up to receive emails from the subcommittee chair’s office.
As of February 9, 2023