Due to the coronavirus pandemic, there is new guidance for those who need to apply for assistance from the Supplemental Assistance for Needy Families Program (SNAP).
Applying for the First Time
– Submit an application at Benefits.Ohio.Gov or 1-844-640-OHIO. Applications processed at the county level in 30 days or less.
– Eligibility is based on income in the month of application. Even if unemployment insurance will eventually put you over income, you can receive SNAP while you wait for a decision.
– Interview requirements temporarily waived if verifications are provided
– No asset test. You don’t have to burn through all of your savings to qualify.
– Recertifications and interim reports postponed for March, April, and May
– Employment and training requirements suspended
– Time limits waived for so-called able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWDs)